March 2, 2009

Improv

For the past several weeks, I have been taking Improv classes from an improv theatre in Downtown Charleston. It has been a safe haven for me to become whoever I desire to be and to live out dreams for just a few moments. It has been a great experience, but now as I look ahead to our final rehearsal, I reflect upon what acting has meant to me.
Drama has always intrigued me. All my life I've been interested in being someone I'm not. Whether it's a spy tasked with a difficult mission or a crazy sports broadcaster, I have gotten through some pretty boring and mundane events in my life by acting or envisioning a reality that isn't there. 
That is the joy of acting. Making the most out of anything. I believe we all act to some degree in our lives. We may not all be broadway stars, but we all daydream and break away from reality in one way or another. For some our acting ability is summed up in a drink, getting wasted to run away from what's hurting. For others our performance is the lies we share to make reality appear better than it actually is. 
I ask myself questions everyday about how my actions or my words reflect who I am. Whether I really do portray to others my true self. If my acting is of good character and integrity. It is this reflection and constant reviewing that makes me who I am.
What does your acting performance reveal about your life?

3 comments:

Hunter said...

Hey! That is so awesome dude. I took improv classes at Theatre 99 about a year ago. I'm taking my level 2 classes this year with my friend Devon. She's probably in your class

Anonymous said...

Hey! That is so awesome dude. I took improv classes at Theatre 99 about a year ago. I'm taking my level 2 classes this year with my friend Devon. She's probably in your class

The Cromers said...

Great post. You're really making me think! And the show was AWESOME last night. We are really proud of you both...